Monday, October 22, 2007

Hoping the good weather holds

I'm hoping that the good weather holds one more weekend. I have some white plastic lounges to clean and store for the winter. I learned the hard way that leaving them uncovered under the deck isn't a good idea. They were horribly stained by the oak leaves that collected on them over those cold wet months. Nasty looking lounges do not entice folks to sit on them more or less relax!

Yes, we do have a garage, but it isn't big enough to fit the lounges (along with all the other garden tools & accoutrement!) Our deck is quite large and provides some storage where we won't see the items stashed there.

Last year, after longingly looking at the chaise covers in the garden magazines, I drove myself to the West Lakes hardware store and bought a large sheet of heavy clear (translucent at least) plastic and white duct tape. At the back of the store, they have several varieties of plastic that you can buy off the bolt. Returning home, I quickly scrubbed the fall grime off of the lounges with my handy plastic brush and warm bleach water. Once they were dry, I stacked the two lounges & covered them with the plastic, cut it to fit and taped it on with the white duct tape, making sure to secure it underneath so that it'd make it through the winter winds. My husband & I then carried them under the deck.

When spring fully unfurled last April, I hauled out the lounges. The cover had held. The happy result was very little cleaning needed before.

No comments: