Saturday, October 20, 2007

Reality

Lush flower studded vines vigorously climbing trellises, paths winding playfully through different garden rooms, bird gardens set with full feeders frequented by birds of varying sorts, this is how I see my yard. Rather like a magazine spread.

Then reality sets in. Take today for instance. I was all set to finish up a roll of film with pictures from my garden and dash it off to the local Walgreen’s to get developed. I was then going to put said pictures in this blog to go with this post. On top of that, as the weather was glorious here – neither too humid nor too cold and the ground wet enough for working – I was planning on getting out and into the dirt.

No such luck. My plans were felled by fatigue from the week and from allergies. All I managed in the yard was to fill the bird feeders. So, this post is for all of us gardeners, and would be gardeners, who have high hopes and rich imaginations. Our “real” gardens may not compare to the magazines, but the gardens in our heads best those glossy spreads every time.


(what my garden should look like http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/gardengetaways_122704.xml)

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Rebecca, I am also a weekend gardener. I do mostly vegetables, herbs and a few hearty, drought tolerant flowers. I love the vegetables, though our season here is too short. I lived in Albuquerque for 15 years and there the growing season was nicely extended, while still having a winter. I'd like to do mroe landscaping, but feel completely clueless about how to do it myself. On the other hand, I am hesitant to pay, so things move very slowly in my back yard.

Sharon said...

I really have a "black thumb..." my greatest accomplishment was keeping a large-ish house plant alive for the fifteen years I've lived in Utah, but alas, I had to send it to its grave a few weeks ago...

So I really admire anyone who can keep a garden and make things grow!

(Rebecca, on this entry you might want to see if you can turn the URL into a link).